Six Tips to Keep in Mind for Veterans
During your time in the military, you gain invaluable hands-on skills that you can apply to a career you’re passionate about when you are finished serving. In addition, the training you receive can help you transition back successfully to civilian life. Choosing an institution that is military-friendly, such as North American Trade Schools, will create a smoother transition for you and your family. Our priority is to offer a foundation for you to achieve the success you deserve and help lead you to the career path you have always dreamed of.
Prepare for a Transition
Transitioning from military life to civilian life is an exciting yet complex time. We recognize that it may take time for you to adjust, and we’ll accommodate you however we can. After being in the armed services, you’re familiar with consistent discipline, and you’ll find that at NATS. You’ll have a responsibility to choose a trade, schedule classes, prepare for testing, and have the power to ease yourself into a regimented schedule that helps you succeed.
Embrace Your Transferable Skills
The extensive range of skills from military service will translate well into your success. In fact, employers often like to hire veterans because they have an applicable combination of real-world experience in leadership, diversity, teamwork, and adaptability.
These skills will easily transfer into many of our programs. Some of our programs that military veterans may have an interest in include:
- Building Construction – A hands-on and tangible program that will allow you to specialize in many areas. Daily tasks range from scaffolding, pouring concrete, and learning vital aspects of common building materials. This program allows you to dive into a core industry and field that requires dexterity, strength, and endurance.
- Commercial Truck Driving – Trucking is a major part of our nation’s economy, with a variety of jobs available throughout the country. Applying the physical and mental strength you’ve honed from your service will ultimately help you succeed at the required exam from the Department of Transportation to receive a CDL.
- Industrial Maintenance – If you enjoy a challenge and a different task every day, then a career in industrial maintenance could be for you. This multidisciplinary career requires knowledge of the following:
- Plumbing and piping
- Forklift operation
- Basic welding
- Electrical work
Seek Out Fellow Veterans
The transition you make after being in the military can be challenging, especially when it comes to finding people who understand what life was like in the service. Going to a veteran friendly school like ours will expand your network of military veterans with relatable experience. North American Trade Schools is an approved institution for the education and training of veterans under the following programs:
- Veterans Education Post 9/11 GI Bill®, Chapter 33
- Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance Program Montgomery GI Bill, Chapter 30
- Selected Reserve Education Benefit, Chapter 1606
- Vocational Rehabilitation, Chapter 31
- Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP), Chapter 32
In addition, with our school being near several military bases, many veterans that attend our school call Baltimore home, giving you an even larger military network for support.
Utilize Your Resources
At North American Trade Schools, we pride ourselves on pushing you to be your very best. This includes providing resources that assist you in securing your future. Our job placement assistance program is provided by professionals who have years of experience in their field and can provide key insights. Through our career services program, you can build connections with future employers who are the perfect fit for you.
The program will teach you important skills including:
- Resume writing
- Cover letter tips
In addition, we want you to thrive without having to worry about finances. Lack of financial resources shouldn’t stop you from working toward the career of your dreams. We offer a variety of options to help you earn the education you want on affordable terms.
Start Your Career Training Today!
We appreciate you dedicating your time to serve in the military and help our country. Your next steps forward in pursuing an education is an exciting time, and we want to help. Please reach out to our team so we can start working to build the future with you!
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.